By Teresa Ryback, Principal Designer, tdSwansburg Design Studio & design firm for SC Morgan Homes
The Pantone Institute announced its 2018 “Colour of the Year”, Ultra Violet! It represents cosmic, artistic expression and ingenuity. It’s a far cry from the the 2017 colour, Greenery, and as a designer, I couldn’t be happier. Bring back the opulence! I have listed my favourite 2018 design trends with suggestions of how you can incorporate these trends into your home.
1. Statement Ceilings
This is a trend I truly love! Use applied moulding to create a stunning ceiling pattern or add wallpaper, contrast paint or even wall panels to the ceiling for a dramatic transformation. Creating drama in a space has simply moved from walls in 2017 to ceilings in 2018. A great room to try this trend out in is your powder room – a small yet formal room.
2. Even More Velvet
Velvet was a huge design trend in 2017 and it is not going away. This trend will dominate in 2018. Velvet will not only continue in statement furniture pieces but will also emerge in wall coverings. Another fabric that we will be seeing more of is brightly coloured leather – maybe Ultra Violet!
3. Rich, Dark Woods
There will always be a place for beautiful white on white cabinetry but 2018 will see the resurgence of dark, rich cabinetry in kitchens, offices and home furnishings. For the past several years we’ve gravitated toward the Scandinavian inspired light palettes and I welcome back the rich, dark woods. You will also see more atmospheric dark paint colours in 2018. Adding a dark moody painted room or a stunning walnut end table to your living room creates depth and drama.
4. Matte Black is Back
Mixing metals was a 2017 trend that carries forward into 2018. Matte finishes will offset high metal shine. Last year we mentioned that Matte Black would start making its way into our homes in the form of plumbing and lighting and in 2018 Matte Black fixtures will dominate kitchens and bathrooms. Brass will also be making an appearance in 2018. Changing fixtures or adding accessories in these two finishes is an easy, inexpensive way to update your space.
5. Vintage Light Fixtures
Whether it’s a restored Art Deco vintage fixture or a new vintage inspired pendant, we will be seeing much more of this look in 2018. Vintage fixtures add interest and charm to new construction and renovation projects. This 2018 trend can be used in a specific room or space and will add a sculptural, art element to any ho-hum room.
When adding any of these trends to your home, use the 80/20 rule. 80 percent should match with the same interior style while the remaining 20 percent can divert into your accent style. Have fun with the 2018 design trends!
– Teresa Ryback, Principal Designer, tdSwansburg Design Studio & design firm for SC Morgan Homes